My Summer book club


I feel like summer is nearly here. Maybe it's the vague tan lines or the large stock of ice cream in my fridge? Mainly I think it's because I work in a school and we are now in the process of winding down for the summer holidays. As with every summer period though there are a few traditions that I like to do. The main one is READING. In particular, the summer book club. 



This is something I have done with my mum for the last couple of years; we take it in turn to pick a selection of books and we both read them at the same time and feed back. This year we have picked the following books:

Orbiting Jupiter by Gary D. Schmidt

This book was actually brought to my attention through the Zoella book club, recommended by the very talented Jennifer Niven. The story is told through the eyes of 12-year-old Jack, who meets 14-year-old Joseph when he is fostered by his family. The story is based around the young boy developing his understanding of Joseph's life and most importantly, the search for his daughter Jupiter. 

The Wonder by Emma Donoghue

Written by the amazing author Emma Donoghue, who wrote one of mine and my mother's favourite books; Room. When we found this book we knew we needed to add it to the list. Based on the story of a nurse who travels to visit a young girl who appears to be living off 'manna from heaven'. I am hoping that this will have the suspense of room, with perhaps less of the heart break (but I doubt that)

Letters to the lost by Brigid Kemmer

The book is based on two strangers communicating through one of my favourite things, letters. The story begins with Juliet writing to her deceased mother and Declan, whilst on community service; when she finds the letter, she cannot help but write back. I am excited to see how this book is written and how their stories will intertwine. 

After the fire by Will Hill

'Father John controls everything inside the fence, and Father John likes the rules'. 

This is another recommendation from the Zoella book club. It tells the story of Moonbean questioning the life that she has been living and what she will do about it. I love a good cult story, and with this being the longest story, this is the fourth in the book club. 



If we manage to get through all of these then it will be up to my mum to pick the next two, but what would your suggestions be? Let me know on twitter or tag me in your #summerreads on instagram @brightonbb






No comments

Post a Comment

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig