Sushi making at The community kitchen


I am so in love with this city right now. I don't know if it's the sun or the fact it's nearing the summer holidays, but I feel so lucky to live in Brighton. It is not only beautiful but it is filled with some great people and projects and one of those, is the community kitchen. 

The community kitchen is a space in central Brighton run by the Brighton food partnership that launched at the end of May (I was lucky enough to be at one of the launch courses and wrote all about my pasta making experience here)
It has a range of courses from how to cook vegeterian food to baking at home, sushi skills to italian style cooking. Alongside these commercial classes, they also host courses for disadvantaged people in Brighton, giving them invaluable cookery skills.

After their launch I completely fell in love with the project again (I had gone on one of their courses a few years ago, before the fancy kitchen) and I couldn't wait to go back and try one of their courses. 



The course itself was run by Jethro, who will be hosting/teaching a range of the courses. When we arrived the kitchen was fully prepped, rice cooked and all of the equipment and ingredients out already. He had already made up the rice which was a great time saver. 

We were lucky enough to get to make a range of types of sushi, starting with Norimaki. We had a selection of fillings to choose throughout the course, starting with vege options for this. I loved learning all of the techniques and tips; seaweed shiny side down and thinly cut vegetables.





Next, we attempted Uramakihe Uramki which was basically 'inside-out' sushi. It was definitely a step up in technique and a lot more fiddly but I loved the final look of it, we finished all of them by rolling them in poppy or sesame seeds. I filled mine with salmon, avocado and cucumber and I have to say it tasted great.




The whole course was so well organised and I loved that we had the recipes in front of us. The equipment was already laid out when we arrived and alongside the vegeterian options, there were also two kinds of salmon and sushi grade mackarel. Lots of options to choose from. 

We made two other styles of sushi; Temaki hand rolls and Gunkanmaki (battleship rolls). We were again encouraged to pick our own toppings and most of us opted for fish. 




Even after all that there was still more to make.. we were shown how to make teriyaki chicken with noodles. It was great to learn how to make the teriyaki sauce from scratch and I will definitely be making it again, maybe even with salmon this time. 



One of my favourite part of the course was the meal. Each person laid out their selection of sushi and their handmade teriyaki chicken noodles and ate together at the table. It was a great chance to sit around and eat the food whilst talking about all things food and asking Jethro questions. We even got to try some sake at the end which I suprisingly liked. 


I cannot recommend the course enough, the kitchen itself was beautifully done and perfectly set out; easily fitting 10-12 people around the workspace. Jethro was knowledgable without being patronising and I learnt so much more about sushi and even perfected a roll or two. I also want to mention the volunteers, who were both so friendly and made me (as the only single person on the course) feel so welcome and comfortable. They had the hard job of washing up but did it all with a smile. 

Make sure to go to their website to find out more about the Brighton and Hove food partnership and all of the courses. 

Did you see my last post? Carrying on the sushi theme, mum and I went to Tropical sushi and reviewed it here. 

No comments

Post a Comment

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig