My 2018 Brighton Festival highlights


I cant think of anything that represents Brighton better than Brighton festival. A combination of people from all over the world enjoying the city and performing. Each year the festival gets bigger and better; from Theatre royal performancers to street buskers and silent dicsos, there really is something for everyone. This year I was lucky enough to be able to soak loads of the festival up, and these were some of my highlights.

Foodies Festival 



I can't talk about the highlights of Brighton festival without mentioning Foodies festival. A festival held each year on Hove lawns combining all things food; from stalls to pop up kitchens, masterclasses and tasting sessions, it really is a foodies dream. Some highlights from this year for me had to be the food I was able to taste. As always the foodies festival boasted a range of local stalls, all of which offer unique and delicious foods to try and buy. After much deliberation, my lunch was a gin cocktail from the collaboration bar of A to Z (Alfie Deyes and Zoe Sugg's latest company) and Daffy's gin. 


To eat I went for a 'sushi burrito'. A wrap of rice, salmon, cucumber and cabbage with a teriyaki sauce and sliced avocado. Henry went for cheeseburger which, although difficult to eat, was delicious. Other offerings included chicken wings, paella, calamari and jerk chicken. With stalls selling everything from cheese, oils and candied nuts. 

Hofesh Shector presents Grand Finale

Mum and I headed to see the latest choreography from Hofesh Shector; a long-term favourite of ours and someone I not only love but studied. This show was split into two parts with a short interval between. The choreography itself was based upon a world in anarchy. The choreography was a great mix of high energy and humour, with the music from an on-stage orchestra. 
I loved the use of staging with panels being moved across the stage to present different scenes and atmospheres. 
I heard a few people say they 'didn't get it' on the way out, and it was abstract but every bit of Hofesh style piece with exceptional dancers and music as always. 

Stopgap presents The Enormous room 


Firstly, the venue. I haven't been to the old market theatre for years and I was in love with the venue on my latest visit. A smaller venue beautifully decorated with woods and twinkling lights combined with local artwork. The theatre itself was intimately small with the stage being at the feet of the front row. 

The setting was outstanding for this production, set in one room with moving parts and opening doors in order to set different scenes throughout the show. The cast itself was a small company of six dancers all with a part to play in the thought-provoking and emotional performance of a father-daughter pair, coming to terms with the loss of their mother. I can't wait to see stopgap again soon. 

Fauna 

For our final performance, we headed to the theatre royal to see a combination of circus skills and dance. A company of five combined their acrobatic skills as an exploration of primal behaviours. I loved the use of humour mixed with breathtaking tricks and clear narratives in this show. Although short of just an hour, it was packed with all things needed in a stunning Brighton festival show. I also have to mention the music, performed by a single man and a guitar, loop peddles and soundboard it was hard not to bring your attention to him as well. 

Spiegeltent



Sometimes the best thing about Brighton festival is just Brighton. The Spiegeltent is all things Brighton; from the people to the performers and all of the extras. I headed down a few times and of course, had to visit my very talented friend Sofaya. Headblush hosted the beautiful glitta makeovers each weekend and it added that extra sparkle to an already vibrant atmosphere. 

And now its come to an end. Another year of talented performances, very-Brighton street shows and the sounds and feelings of summer coming soon! I have been lucky enough to see so many parts of this years festival and I look forward to it coming back around next year. 

No comments

Post a Comment

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig